Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Nebetah, daughter of Amenhotep III and Tiye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Princess Nebetah, daughter of Amenhotep III and Tiye Reply with quote

While I was in Amsterdam and visiting the Allard Pierson Museum, I bought the book "Objects of Eternity" by Philipp von Zabern. He mentions a statue head of a princess (pg 135 - 137)

The fragment of the head is 28 cm and the bottom part of the face is missing. But it still shows how beautiful the real statue must have been when complete. The Nubian style wig is clearly visible and beautifully carved. There is evidence of a side lock on the right side of the head. We can still see the eyes on the statue and they look like the features we see on statues from the time of Amenhotep III.

The break on the back of the statue is an exact match for the statue of Princess Nebetah who is depicted on the right side of the dyad depicting Amenhotep and Tiye with three of their daughters.

The inscription on the statue- now in the Cairo museum - clearly identifies the princess as Nebetah. And as the break line is an exact match there seems to be no doubt that this head belongs with the statue in Cairo.

A nice picture of the dyad, showing what remains of the statue of Nebetah can be found at this site: click here

Here's a (low quality) image of the head:

The overal composition of the head reminds me a bit of the bust of a princess from the Louvre. The Louvre Princess has a more "pinched face". It looks a bit more Amarna in style, but the overall look of a princess with Nubian style wig with side-lock is interesting.

burlgirl
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous head ov Princess Nebetah. I would love to see the head joined to the body.

Thomas Jefferson
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Princess Nebetah, daughter of Amenhotep III and Tiye Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
While I was in Amsterdam and visiting the Allard Pierson Museum, I bought the book "Objects of Eternity" by Philipp von Zabern. He mentions a statue ...

Small note : " Philipp von Zabern " is not the author. This concerns the name of the publishing house.

Andrews, Carol [Edit.]; Meijer, W. Arnold. - ed. by Carol A. R. Andrews ... With contrib. by Carol A. R. Andrews ... - Allard Pierson Museum (Amsterdam) : Objects for eternity - Egyptian antiquities from the W. Arnold Meijer collection ; Allard Pierson Museum Amsterdam, Archeologisch Museum der Universiteit van Amsterdam, Exhibition: Objects for Eternity, 17 November 2006 - 25 March 2007

Mainz am Rhein: Philipp von Zabern, 2006. - ISBN: 3-8053-3651-9. - 278 p., Ill., engl.

Great book ! Cool

Greetings, Lutz.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that. I should have looked at the title page Smile
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again anneke found something cool. greta eye there anneke!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: