Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Love Poems: My sister/brother?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheErrantWilder
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Egyptian Love Poems: My sister/brother? Reply with quote

Hello! I have been looking at Ancient Egyptian love poems recently. And I was just wondering, why do they refer to their beloved as sister/brother?

Example: The marsh's plants bewilder.
My sister's mouth is a lotus,
her breasts mandragons,
her arms the limbs of a tree,
her....
her head the love-wood trap,
and I am the gone goose!
The cord is my...
her hair is the lure in the net
that will ensnare me.

Translated by Barbara Hughes

When it is from a woman's perspective it is "my brother", I know the Pharaohs interbred but is this actually incest? A wrong translation? A metaphor meaning something else? Or something else entirely?
I would like to understand this to better understand the Ancient Egyptian mindset =]
Thank you for any help!
Wilder

The girl in my avatar is me, age ten.
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They are not indicators of incest nor are they mis-translations. They are terms of affection. In that culture that was the way endearment was expressed.

Note to Kevin - or whoever is interested. The hyphen in mis-translations is due to the fact that the ED (I presume it was ED) filter replaced the, as far as I can tell: correct, non-hyphenated word with four stars, viz: ****. The hyphen was the only way I could get the word in.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
TheErrantWilder
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was something like that, that the bond between them is strong or something =] Thank you!!

The girl in my avatar is me, age ten.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobManske wrote:

Note to Kevin - or whoever is interested. The hyphen in mis-translations is due to the fact that the ED (I presume it was ED) filter replaced the, as far as I can tell: correct, non-hyphenated word with four stars, viz: ****. The hyphen was the only way I could get the word in.
Bob
There is a company starting with "S" and ending with "translations" that spammed this board previously, so that word was banned along with any words containing that word. I've changed it now, so mistranslations is ok. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: