Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertiti Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb007
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Nefertiti Help Reply with quote

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone can shed more light on my Nefertiti bust?

I do know that it was issued by the Berlin Museum in the 1930's.
It is extremely rare. It is a true one to one scale. (per Berlin Museum)

Anyone know more about it? History, story, value...etc?

She is one of my most precious gifts. I don't really consider this a possession, since it brings my soul closer to home. Feels like an old friend is with me.

Thanks!
Bruce

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stunning reproduction!

I had never heard of early 20th century replicas, but according to this website: http://www.shangri-la.***.com/press/nefertiti.html

Some ancient art was reproduced for museums and special exhibits?

About 1/4 of the way down they show a seal. Is it similar to the stamp on the back of your statue? I can see it on the red ribbon on her back, but I cannot see enough detail to make out any details.

On the website they mention "... was an excellently crafted early 20th century reproduction produced under the auspices of Adolf Hitler, perhaps as one of many used as gifts for close friends."

I may of course be completely, totally wrong, and sending you in the wrong direction Smile
jb007
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I know for a fact that it's not a Hitler reproduction. The seal on mine does not contain the swastika.

It is a neat site though.

Very Happy
quietly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my goodness, at first glance i thought it was the real thing and you were crazy..lol.

makes my chip look like...well a chip. Laughing
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hitler bust was not the same one as that in the Berlin Museum, but the copy of a sandstone bust found during excavations at Amarna. The big difference is that the Hitler bust did not have the blue crown that we are familiar with on the bust in the museum.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, but the article seems to imply that other copies of artworks were made during that era.

If the statue dates to the 1930's from Berlin, then it has to date to the Nazi era. If it was not commissioned by Hitler, then it may still be related to some art exhibit using replicas from that time period.

Unless the manufacturers who were commissioned to do those replicas made a limited supply of other high quality replicas.

If Hitler was fond of these art items then some of the other high ranking Nazis might have been another good "market" for these types of items.

It's also possible some were made for the tourist industry, but somehow the ones I have seen always end up looking a lot "cheaper" than this bust.
jb007
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Berlin museum does still make or have replicas made of Nefertiti, however, nothing like this one.

This was one of possibly 2 or 3 made in the early 30's that was a traveling piece, or stand in for the original, at that time.

That's where the mystery begins. That's all I have on her...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oriental Institute here in Chicago possesses one of those replicas produced early in the twentieth century. Unfortunately it's not on display and I've never seen it, but then most people haven't.

That really is a gorgeous replica, jb007. As with quietly, when I first saw it I thought it was the real thing. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
jb007
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Just received this from the Oriental Inst. Reply with quote

Your inquiry about the Nefertiti bust was referred to my attention. Our replica (cast no. 280) was purchased by James Henry Breasted, the founder of the Oriental Institute, in 1923 from the Staatliche Museen, Berlin, where the original bust is housed. I would guess that yours is a similar vintage.

Your bust is actually more accurate than ours, for, for some reason, the missing left eye of ours was restored.

I'm sure that the seal on the reverse will give you the name of the manufacturer. There was a single company that did most of the replicas for the Berlin Museum.

By policy, we do give valuations. However, there are not many of these really accurate replicas. It is a lovely piece.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found out that information from the O.I. I didn't know all of that. Thanks for digging a little deeper. Wink

Visit my blog!
jb007
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YW

The problem still lies though...what is the value of this wonder? If it is as rare and in such condition, I need to insure it.
It must have some worth, worth insuring...
elkhalili78
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's really an amazing piece Smile
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original is considered to be priceless.
There is a link here that shows a reproduction that is nowhere near the quality of yours for sale fo $165.00 U.S.Dollars:
http://www.emuseumstore.com/product/2163/4/?r=[arthistoryinfo]
But it's a laughable quality reproduction, in my opinion.
I deal in antiques, but I would have great difficulty pricing yours. It would depend on how many were made, how old, etc. etc. A guesstimate would be $1000, but that may be low.
jb007
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.

And yes I suppose it is laughable when looking at mine.

From what I know, mine is rare, especially given the condition, age (1920's) and the fact that there not many in this condition left.

Like in a prior post of mine, even the Oriental Institute in Chicago was impressed by it. As well, the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) was impressed so much that they want me to have it appraised and want to buy it from me.

But I'm trying to find out as much as possible about it first.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there's real monetary value attached to jb007's replica bust. You'd have to bring it to a seasoned and reputable antiquities professional to have it appraised, but there's no question that it's far and away better than most replicas most of us have ever seen. Its approximate date of origin is significant, for the quality of a set few replicas made at that time.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: